Re: Creating a source tarball for repackaged source using dpkg-source -b

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 23:54 +0100, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the developer reference describes how to do the repackaging of upstream
> source.
> Among others the following two points are mentioned for the
> repackaged .orig.tar.gz:
>       * should use <packagename>-<upstream-version>.orig as the name of
>         the top-level directory in its tarball. This makes it possible
>         to distinguish pristine tarballs from repackaged ones.
>       * should be gzipped with maximal compression.

This is what you should do *if* you need to repackage upstream source.
That is only necessary if it:
- contains non-DFSG-compliant material, and you want to upload to main
- is not a gzipped tarball
- is divided into multiple tarballs

It is not necesssary to repackage merely to change the directory name
(dpkg-source -x deals with that automatically) or to improve
compression.

> And it is said, that those points can be met, by using "dpkg-source -b"
> to construct the repackaged tarball from an unpacked directory.
> (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-origtargz)
>
> How do I invoke dpkg-source to create the .orig.tar.gz file?

I think if you have the original source unpacked in the directory
$name-$version.orig and the Debian-modified source in the directory
$name-$version then "dpkg-source -b $name-$version" will use
$name-$version.orig to build the orig.tar.gz.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Teamwork is essential - it allows you to blame someone else.