We need an off-topic list (was Re: REALLY OT: News Flash)

Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> > it's GREATLY increasing the noise:signal
> > ratio for people who don't know about "ignore thread" or other such things.
> > It doesn't bother me personally (like I said I've found some of the messages
> > in this thread quite interesting... and if I don't feel like paying
> > attention I can just hit "delete")
> Not to sound stupid, but how does one use this ignore thread feature?
> I'm pretty new to mailing lists so I'm guessing I respond to the topic
> and put ignore in the subject header, but I could be wrong and don't
> want to spam up everyone's inbox.

  I use mutt in non-threaded mode so I have no idea. :-)

  However, this proves the value of having a designated OT list signficantly
guys: Here is someone subscribed to the very mailing list that supposed to
help him learn more about debian, who is currently powerless to avoid the OT
spam that's coming along with it (and currently increasing in velocity)!

  IANADD, but I would like to see something get going with this soon... what
is the procedure? Does a debian developer "sponsor" the mailing list? Is
there some sort of vote that has to happen?

  Thanks,
    Tyler