Re: debian: user-request-daemon (it could solve some problems)

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:29:36PM +0100, Curt Manucredo wrote:

> i am not quiet sure about sudo, since it asks from time to time a
> password.

  Unless you add "NOPASSWD:" to the entries, so for example I can
 allow the user "skx" to restart memcached with this stanza:

Cmnd_Alias MEMCACHED = /etc/init.d/memcached
skx ALL = NOPASSWD: MEMCACHED

  I have to say that your program sounds interesting but it seems
 to suffer from two flaws:

    1.  It doesn't appear to do anything that sudo couldn't do,
       except perhaps run events upon external notifications.

    2.  If the commands are executed in the background the user
       presumably cannot interact with them.  (so, for example,
       the equivalent of "sudo vim /etc/motd"  couldn't be written.
       vim would be in the background running as a different user
       and they wouldn't be able to edit the file.)

  Interesting sounding application, and almost certainly a great
 learning experience for you.  I'm sure if you posted the source
 somewhere public people would comment upon it - but I don't have
 the impression it is going to be as popular as sudo just yet!

Steve