extra-license-file best pratices

I have a package in the archive (and another one I'm working on) which causes
lintian to report the extra-license-file warning because of the COPYING.gz
being installed in /usr/share/doc/<package>.
The file contains a copy of the GNU GPL, so it's in fact useless.

Now, I see three ways I could fix this:

  1. Being upstream for the software, just edit the original Makefile so the
     `install' target skips COPYING.gz

  2. Edit the Makefile only in the Debian package, commenting out the offending
     lines

  3. Remove the file in debian/rules, *after* installing it

The second one seems the best solution to me, since it will work also for
software for which I'm not the upstream.

Can I have your opinion on the matter?

--
KiyuKo <eof AT kiyuko DOT org>