Thanks a lot for your work.

>    Package name    : ballview
>    Version         : 1.2-1
>    Upstream Author : myself
>    URL             : www.ballview.org
>    License         : LGPL
>    Section         : science
>

> It builds these binary packages:
> ballview   - A free molecular modeling and molecular graphics tool
I had a real short look at your package and gave it a try in my cowbuilder and
I got the following output:

W: /home/white/.pbuilderrc does not exist
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: sip4 python-sip4-dev
libglew-dev
W: Unmet build-dependency in source
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is ballview
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 1.2-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Andreas Moll <kerosin@gmx.de>
dpkg-buildpackage: source version without epoch 1.2-1
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
debian/debian-ball-install clean
make: execvp: debian/debian-ball-install: Permission denied
make: *** [clean] Error 127
white@katha:~/white/debian/debs/sponsoring/ballview/ballview-1.2$ fakeroot
debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
debian/debian-ball-install clean
make: execvp: debian/debian-ball-install: Permission denied
make: *** [clean] Error 127

You are using this particular script, but I guess it might be easier to do the
needed stuff directly in the debian/rules file, though I did not investigate
it further, this is just what I got right now, I hope it helps you.

Cheers
Steffen