Re: RFS: ballview - A free molecular modeling and molecular graphics tool

Dear Charles,

think you for your help:

There is still some polishing work to be done before somebody can
sponsor, however. Thijs has already pointed at some problems, and I
found a few others:

* Your README.Debian does not contain any information. You can safely
  delete it if you have nothing Debian-specific to say to the Debian
  users.
done

* Your control file says that the package is released under the GPL,
  while the copyright file says LGPL.
done

* Your package does not build on iMac G5. Even on the 32-bit ppc port,
  G5 machines use a ppc64 kernel. Apparently, this confuses your
  configuration scripts. For the moment, the Debian buildds for powerpc
  are G4s, but should they become G5, your package would get a
  release-critical bug.
We will try to find a G5 machine to fix the configure script.

* I am not sure wether you need to specify the contents of the Depends:
  field for the binary package. Depends: ${shlibs:Depends},
  ${misc:Depends} usually does a better and safer job.
I am not sure if all dependencies will be found, but I will give it a try...

* You use python, did you read the Debian python policy ?
  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
Yes, I did, but I could not find any point that might be of special importance for our package.

There may be more things to say, but I have to build the package
first...
Thank you again for your help!
I will upload a new improved version of the package in the next hours...

Lastly, did you hear about the Debian-Med project ? Do not hesitate to
contact us on our mailing list if you are interested !
It looks great, I would be glad if BALLView could become part of your
Custom Debian Distribution. I think both projects could benefit from each other.

Yours sincerely

Andreas Moll