Why are the buildds able to find a Build-Dep on their own?

Hi all,
while working on proftpd backport I've been stumbling about the fact
that the proftpd package did not declare a build-dep on the libattr1-dev
package. The package is clearly needed if you're going to build it by
hand. I've been expecting the package to FTBFS on the buildds but the
opposite happens and the pacakge is build correctly.

Reading #400738 and #405981 (which were both about this issue) didn't help
me either to understand it.

Could someone please explain me why the buildds were able to build the package
without explizitly knowing about the needed libattr1-dev build-dep?

Sven
--
If you won't forgive me the rest of my life
Let me apologize while I'm still alive