Re: RFS: gprsec -- GPRS Easy Connect - Connect to the Internet with a GPRS phone

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:58:43 +0500
DS <fechiny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gprsec".

1. Please send the gpg key F9FFD994 to a keyserver (preferably
subkeys.pgp.net) as you are using this key with debsign but I can't
verify the signature on the .dsc and .changes.

2. It's always a good idea to keep patches in debian/patches rather
than only having changes in the .diff.gz - please implement dpatch for
this package. An alternative would be to switch the package to CDBS and
it's patch system. Simply editing the files and leaving the changes
only in the .diff.gz quickly becomes unmanageable.

3. The manpage appears extremely brief for such a large upstream
source. I know the bulk of the package is xpm and png images but there
is descriptive and helpful content in the package that can be used to
provide a more informative manpage. At the very least, describe how the
package is used and why the package is so large.

4. debian/copyright : The Licence section should also include the
licence statement itself. Copyright section is not the usual format -
it's intended to show the year, name and email rather than sections of
the program itself - but this information does not appear in the
source. It may be an idea to ask upstream to add details about dates,
just the years that each author made changes to the relevant files. The
Licence text needs to be done before I can upload, the copyright dates
can wait.

5. You should include some of the content of documentation.html into
the manpage as well as package the page in the package itself. (The
text that you copy from documentation.html needs to be spell-checked
and some grammatical errors corrected, e.g. it should be Bluetooth not
Blootooth!.) :-)

6. You could also consider splitting the package so that all users
don't need to install all images.

> It builds these binary packages:
> gprsec     - GPRS Easy Connect - Connect to the Internet with a GPRS
> phone

That short description doesn't really work - don't put 'GPRS' in the
summary twice. Once is quite enough - generally, you don't need to put
the package name in the short description.

gprsec     -  easy internet connections via a GPRS phone

The long description can also be revised:

 gprsec can help you to make an GPRS Internet connection using
 a compatible phone.  Most phones and providers are supported.

... and then expanded to include some idea of how it creates the
connection and the Homepage.

> I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me. Any comments
> are welcome too.
>
> Thanks,
>  Denis Sirotkin

If you can work on these, I'll continue checking and testing the package.

--

Neil Williams