Re: Library sonames and unstable libraries

Hi,

Junichi Uekawa wrote:
>>> Too, there are actually two forms of library soname file naming used:
>>>   libfoo.so.1.2.3
>>> and
>>>   libfoo-1.2.3.so
>> Only the first one is mentioned in the various packaging guides,
>
> hmmm ? excluding this?
>
> http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#shldevpackagecontents

Right; I should read the documents I refer to more carefully ;)

>> so I suppose that the format libfoo-1.2.3.so only exists for historical
>> reasons, right? IMHO new packages have to use the form libfoo.so.1.2.3 ?
>
> That's not quite the case.

Yes, Steve already said that; so, if I understand it correctly, none of
the two formats is preferred over the other one, i.e. if upstream
uses either of them, both would be valid for Debian, right?

Thanks,

	Andreas