Re: Library sonames and unstable libraries

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:56:17 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> said:

[...]

> Mapnik consists of a C++ shared library with python bindings. Also
> included are some .so plugins but I don't believe that they are
> problematic currently; they can simply reside in /usr/lib/mapnik/ .

Remember to read the Python policy for the Python-related bits.
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

[...]

> However, this library is still in active development. I'm working with
> SVN snapshots at the moment because there hasn't been a stable release
> for a while. I've been trying to work out what to recommend to
> upstream in the way of sonames and library versioning but I'm not
> really sure where to go.

>From the webpage, the last release was last May, which is just over half
a year ago, which isn't really that long ago.

In general, it's probably a bad idea to package SVN snapshots of a
library that changes ABI so quickly, since every ABI bump requires a new
binary package name in Debian.

One other option, if you really must use the SVN snapshots, is to make
it a statically linked library.  However, there are several concerns
related to static linking, so it should be avoided whenever possible.

--
Hubert Chan <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA         http://www.uhoreg.ca/