Re: RFS: libdevice-serialport-perl

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:08:49 -0800
Kees Cook <kees@outflux.net> wrote:

> Hello!  libdevice-serialport-perl has been languishing with a bad
> regression (bug#390387: version 1.002 was NMU'd into version 0.22).
> Zak Elep produced an "official" non-NMU update, but it was never
> sponsored[1].

The obvious question is : Has anyone been able to contact the current
maintainer? The mentors archive indicates that this has been attempted:
http://www.archivum.info/linux.debian.devel.mentors/2006-08/msg00111.html

CC'ing him just to see if there is any update.

A new maintainer would seem appropriate if there is no response. Popcon
indicates increasing usage of this package, so something does need to
be done. I could be interested if I had more confidence in being able
to test it reliably.

> Since software that depends on libdevice-serialport-perl breaks,
> finding the wrong version installed, I'd really like to get this
> fixed (I'm also the upstream author).  What needs to happen to get
> this package sorted out?

The problem is finding a sponsor who is interested and able to test
this package. What is involved? There only appears to be one package
depending on this package: sendpage-server and it's -common and -client
versions, used to send alphanumeric pages to a pager. Is there some way
to reliably test this package without having a pager and supporting
service? (Something more than just running the test suite, which,
according to the BTS, has had it's own problems.)

A sponsor does need to be able to test the package prior to upload, it
is insufficient for all testing to be done upstream and/or by the
maintainer when that maintainer is not a DD.

--

Neil Williams