How to do input sanitazion in debconf

Hi,

#400294 suggests that the Debian exim4 packages go to some way to
sanizite input delivered via debconf. I am wondering how to properly
do this.

One would want to either build a state machine or to loop around all
debconf questions until the sanitazion has passed. And one needs
debconf templates for all possible error messages. This sounds like
being a pain to actually do, but could be eased inside debconf when
#400294 is addressed.

And to make things worse: One usually writes out debconf information
to config files. In the (rather common case) where these config files
are postprocessed, once need to do input sanitazion there as well.
Doubled bug potential.

What is the recommended way to do this?

Greetings
Marc