Re: Bad practice to make a package depend on a specific kernel image

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:20:56 +1100, Robert Collins
<robertc@robertcollins.net> said:

> The basic problem is that presence of a kernel package does not
> imply presence of the desired patch/enabled feature in that package,
> nor that the running kernel is the installed one.

        Assumptions: the machine in question is running a packaged
 kernel.  This is not required; people can download  kernels from
 kernel.org and (gasp) _not_ use make-kpkg.

> What you need to do is twofold: depend upon the presence of the ABI
> required, if you can get the kernel package maintainers to add an

        Assumption: all machine4s that install your package are going
 to be running official kernels.  None of my machines ever do.

> appropriate provides: entry, and secondly handle the absence of that
> ABI gracefully at runtime.

        manoj

--
Pudder's Law: Anything that begins well will end badly. (Note: The
converse of Pudder's law is not true.)