Re: Why info files need to be named info-*.gz?

Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> writes:

> They are compressed and end in .gz.

> % ls /usr/share/info/jed.*
> /usr/share/info/jed.1in.gz  /usr/share/info/jed.3in.gz
> /usr/share/info/jed.2in.gz  /usr/share/info/jed.info.gz

> The lintian check looks so:
>     unless ($infoext && $infoext =~ /info(-\d)?/) { # it's not foo.info
>         unless (!@fname_pieces) { # it's not foo{,-{1,2,3,...}}
>             tag "info-document-has-wrong-extension", "$file";
>         }
>     }

Oh, that.  I don't know, actually; it's been in lintian from long before I
started working on it.  Have you checked that all info readers (info,
pinfo, and C-h i from inside Emacs) can find those info files correctly
and understand their sequencing when doing searches from inside the info
reader?  And have you confirmed that install-info does the right thing
with dir entries for them and that following the resulting dir entries
works?

If all of that works correctly with the non-standard file names, I can
weaken the test.  (Although really, if I were you, I'd just give the info
files standard names.  Is there some specific reason why they don't have
standard names like all the other info files in /usr/share/info?  I
presume that they should actually be called jed.gz, jed-1.gz, jed-2.gz,
and jed-3.gz.)