debconf: asking several questions more than once

Hi people,

as i just finished a current version of mantis got it uploaded by Daniel
(thanks for that!) i have re-started working on smstools. Because the
upstream author and me detected that installation can lead into a
defunct state (because smsd is started, even though maybe there is no
appropriate config), i thought about implementing a series of debconf
questions to preconfigure smsd if the user wants to do so.
Thats no problem so far.
But there is one thing I'm not sure how to implement. Users can use up
to 32 modems with smstools. Even though i don't think that is a common
setup i would like to give them a chance to configure more than one
modem. But i am a bit unsure how to do this.
Off course i know that i can loop in my config script, but how to ask
several questions again and again and store the answers so i can process
them in the postinst? I heard about the db_register command, but i
haven't seen a concrete example so far and so i am a bit curious about
how to do this.

Thanks for any help

Best Regards
Patrick