Re: RFS: tdicons

  Hi Michelle,

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:52:43 +0100
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "tdicons".
>
> * Package name    : tdicons
>   Version         : 0.0.3-2
>   Upstream Author : Michelle Konzack
> * URL             : http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tdicons
> * License         : Artistic License
>   Section         : misc
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> tdicons    - A huge collection of icons in four different sizes
> tdicons-sidebars - A huge collection of icons in four different sizes
> tdicons16  - A huge collection of icons in 16x16 pixel
> tdicons32  - A huge collection of icons in 32x32 pixel
> tdicons48  - A huge collection of icons in 48x48 pixel
> tdicons64  - A huge collection of icons in 64x64 pixel
>
> The package is lintian clean.

  This line comes from some mail template for debian-mentors? :)
  Please, do run an up to date lintian before writting it, you cannot
figure out how disappointing is reading it and then found this:

N: Setting up lab in /tmp/1nwV7IAhV7 ...
N: Processing changes file tdicons_0.0.3-2_amd64.changes ...
N: Processing 7 packages...
N: ----
N: Processing source package tdicons (version 0.0.3-2) ...
N: ----
N: Processing binary package tdicons64 (version 0.0.3-2) ...
E: tdicons64: description-synopsis-is-duplicated
N:
N:   The first line of the extended Description: should not repeat the
N:   synopsis exactly. This indicates that either the synopsis is badly
N:   formed or that the extended description has been wrongly copied and
N:   pasted.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 3.4.2 for details.
N:
E: tdicons64: changelog-file-not-compressed Changelog
N:
N:   Changelog files must be compressed using `gzip -9'. Even if they start
N:   out small, they will become large with time.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.7 for details.
N:
W: tdicons64: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
usr/share/doc/tdicons64/Changelog N:
N:   If there is an upstream changelog file, it should usually be installed
N:   as /usr/share/doc/<pkg>/changelog.gz
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.7 for details.
N:
I: tdicons64: unknown-field-in-control homepage
N:
N:   See the Policy Manual for a list of the possible fields in a binary
N:   package control file.
N:
N:   In udeb packages the fields pre-depends, conflicts, essential and
N:   suggests are disallowed, but they can contain the new fields
N:   subarchitecture and installer-menu-item.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 5.3 for details.
N:
N: ----
N: Processing binary package tdicons48 (version 0.0.3-2) ...
E: tdicons48: description-synopsis-is-duplicated
E: tdicons48: changelog-file-not-compressed Changelog
W: tdicons48: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
usr/share/doc/tdicons48/Changelog I: tdicons48: unknown-field-in-control
homepage N: ----
N: Processing binary package tdicons32 (version 0.0.3-2) ...
E: tdicons32: description-synopsis-is-duplicated
E: tdicons32: changelog-file-not-compressed Changelog
W: tdicons32: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
usr/share/doc/tdicons32/Changelog I: tdicons32: unknown-field-in-control
homepage N: ----
N: Processing binary package tdicons16 (version 0.0.3-2) ...
E: tdicons16: description-synopsis-is-duplicated
E: tdicons16: changelog-file-not-compressed Changelog
W: tdicons16: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
usr/share/doc/tdicons16/Changelog I: tdicons16: unknown-field-in-control
homepage N: ----
N: Processing binary package tdicons-sidebars (version 0.0.3-2) ...
E: tdicons-sidebars: changelog-file-not-compressed Changelog
W: tdicons-sidebars: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
usr/share/doc/tdicons-sidebars/Changelog I: tdicons-sidebars:
unknown-field-in-control homepage N: ----
N: Processing binary package tdicons (version 0.0.3-2) ...
E: tdicons: menu-item-missing-required-tag command /usr/share/menu/tdicons:5
N:
N:   The menu item has a line that is missing a required tag. It's likely
N:   that the line will have no effect without this tag. install-menu may
N:   report this as an error during package installation.
N:
W: tdicons:
menu-command-not-in-package /usr/share/menu/tdicons:12 /usr/bin/xbmbrowser N:
N:   The menu item specifies a command which is not available in the
N:   package. In most cases this is a typo or after you moved a binary
N:   around, but forgot to update the menu file.
N:
W: tdicons: menu-item-creates-new-section
Apps/Misc/tdicons16 /usr/share/menu/tdicons:12 N:
N:   The menu item has a line that specifies a new section to put a menu
N:   entry in. This may be ok, but most menu entries should go in one of
N:   the sections listed in the menu documentation.
N:
N:   Note that most root sections have to be subsectioned, and should not
N:   be used as sections directly.
N:
N:   See: http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu-policy/ch2#s2.1
N:
N:   Refer to Debian Menu sub-policy 2.1 for details.
N:
W: tdicons:
menu-command-not-in-package /usr/share/menu/tdicons:19 /usr/bin/xbmbrowser
W: tdicons: menu-item-creates-new-section
Apps/Misc/tdicons32 /usr/share/menu/tdicons:19 W: tdicons:
menu-command-not-in-package /usr/share/menu/tdicons:26 /usr/bin/xbmbrowser
W: tdicons: menu-item-creates-new-section
Apps/Misc/tdicons48 /usr/share/menu/tdicons:26 W: tdicons:
menu-command-not-in-package /usr/share/menu/tdicons:33 /usr/bin/xbmbrowser
W: tdicons: menu-item-creates-new-section
Apps/Misc/tdicons64 /usr/share/menu/tdicons:33 E: tdicons:
changelog-file-not-compressed Changelog W: tdicons:
wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog usr/share/doc/tdicons/Changelog I:
tdicons: unknown-field-in-control homepage N: Removing /tmp/1nwV7IAhV7 ...

  In addition to this, I feel debian/copyright file is missing info.

  Now, about the included icons, I hardly believe the Windows and MS-DOS
icons are under the Artistic License.

  The icons depicting Ossama Ben Laden and Britney Spears the are equally
doubtful regarding the license, and, while I can play with the idea of using
the first ones as xkill icons, I guess others may find additional objections
to having them in their hard disks.

  Notice that even fixing all of this I won't upload the package (sorry,
but I find the icons low quality and too windowish), but others may do! :)

  regards,
--
 Ricardo Mones
 http://people.debian.org/~mones