Re: Using the user nobody in my package

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 06:40 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Please post your thoughts here, so we can have a valuable chat on what
> to do.

There is a way to get static UID assignments. I'm not sure if that's the
best solution here, or how easily they're granted, but I do know it's
covered in the policy.

I wrote a web configuration system for web hosting at my employer. I use
named groups. How often do you really move sites? In that case, you
could just do the move with something that'll preserve ownership by name
rather than UID/GID. Also, for us, we end up creating our servers the
same way, so the UIDs end up matching anyway.

It seems to me like you should use whatever account is most appropriate
for each task, rather than trying to pick one UID/GID for everything.
For your daemon, that might be a particular user, such as dtc. For
apache, leave its default alone. I don't think it's good form to be
changing Apache's users. (I'd imagine that'd require modifying apache's
conffiles anyway, which would be against policy.) For other daemons, do
whatever is necessary...

I'm not sure how much this helps. I'd be glad to discuss the users that
we use in our package, if that helps.

Richard