Advice regarding lintian information message: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign

I?m intending to adopt the java2html package and I?ve produced an updated
source package. When I run lintian against the source (passing the -I
flag), I get an information message:

     I: java2html: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign
usr/share/man/man1/java2html.1.gz:39
     N:
     N:   Manual page seems to contain a hyphen where a minus sign was
intended.
     N:   '-' chars are interpreted as hyphens (U+2010) by groff, not as
minus
     N:   signs (U+002D). Since options to programs use minus signs (U+002D),
     N:   this means for example in UTF-8 locales that you cannot cut&paste
     N:   options, nor search for them easily.
     N:
     N:   '-' must be escaped ('\-') to be interpreted as minus.
     ... ...

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01481.html
gives the full story.

What is the recommended approach here?

(1)  Ignore the problem - it is only an *informational* message,
     and previous releases have ignored it.
(2)  Patch as recommended in msg01481.html; send patch to upstream author.
(3)  Send a bug report upstream.

I would favour option (2), but what's the consensus?

Thanks,
Paul