Re: RFC: ipw3945

* Daniel Baumann (daniel@debian.org) [061112 11:46]:
>   0. Currently the ieee80211 headers in mainline are recent enough to
>      allow ipw* compiled against it. This may change again in
>      future, hence I compile them all the time against ieee80211.

Eh, that doesn't sound really useful. One never knows for sure what the
future brings.

>   1. The ipw3945 package as it is now is anyway just a "temporary"
>      package, because once it gets merged in mainline, the majority of
>      users are going to use it there.

The ipw3945-package will be the only chance for users in Etch to have
support for this device, at least until the newer kernels come in at
Etch+half.

> >  Daniel, do you mind us uploading an ipw3945 package?  Or would you
> >  rather prefer co-maintenance under, say, a SVN repository on Alioth?
>
> In the last few days, I was busy with legal issues after my fathers dead
> (heritaging et al). I'm now working again at the packages and uploading
> them.

Is there any reason not to take this working package, and just upload
it? I think it would be a disservice to our users if we keep an working
package out of Etch.

Cheers,
Andi
--