Re: 2 ftpds packages conflicts

Le Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 09:49:37PM +0100, Székelyi Szabolcs a écrit :

>  b) drop Conflicts
>     - Novice user installs the packages in question. *If* he notices
>       that there is some problem, looks at logs (as I remember, apache
>       tells about the problem on the console, too), searches on Google,
>       gets tons of results. After reading three of them, he knows
>       what the problem is, he can fix it, he will *understand* what he's
>       doing. User is happy.

Alternatively, if it is deemed that chosing and installing a ftp server is
something technical, Debian could provide a meta-package which would
pick one, conflict on others, and interact with users to ease the
configuration.

Also, if I understand correctly, only one *ftpd package is "Optional"
and all the others are "Extra". Uderlining this in the documentations
and the behaviour of front-ends should also greatly help the beginners
who do not need functinalities which are unique to one ftp server.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org