Re: Circular dependencies

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006, Prasad Ramamurthy Kadambi wrote:
> On 11/3/06, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> >There isn't such a rule. Broken circular dependencies are wrong,
> >and needless ones should be fixed, but needed ones are definetly
> >not a bug.
>
> But this is what  Bill had to say for my package festival-te.

Yes; this has been discussed a few times on -devel.

> See threads
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/06/msg02111.html

Yes, I'm aware of these threads... in brief:

1) Policy already deals with this correctly:

     In case of circular dependencies, since installation or removal order
     honoring the dependency order can't be established, dependency loops
     are broken at some point (based on rules below), and some packages may
     not be able to rely on their dependencies being present when being
     installed or removed, depending on which side of the break of the
     circular dependcy loop they happen to be on.  If one of the packages
     in the loop has no postinst script, then the cycle will be broken at
     that package, so as to ensure that all postinst scripts run with the
     dependencies properly configured if this is possible.  Otherwise the
     breaking point is arbitrary.

2) #310490 is a bug in aptitude in woody.

3) Any dependency does this; that's kind of a red herring.

4) This is only the case when you have circular *build* dependencies;
circular dependencies themselves don't make things more difficult.

#5 really isn't an issue.

is the beginning of a more recent thread about these issues.

Don Armstrong

--
Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.
 -- Tussman's Law