Re: When is the Freeze of Etch?

Sorroy for the long delay but I had tu buy a new Laptop on eBay...

Am 2006-10-14 10:41:54, schrieb Kapil Hari Paranjape:
> Some suggestions:
>
> 1. You have already filed a bug report. You can provide enough
>    data (interdiff, URL, ... whatever you think is enough!) so
>    that the current maintainer can incorporate your packaging effort
>    to make it quicker for version 2.3 to make it into etch.

I have build the original xdialog package from the sources since
Thierry Godefroy (Upstream) provides a debian/ directory.  The
build package xdialog_2.3.0_i386.deb is exactly the same as the
oder Debian Version, except that the debian/changelog should be
updated to reflect Debian Work on it.

> 2. If major functionality will be broken by releasing 2.2 in etch
>    then you want to consider upgrading the severity of the bug.
>    Please provide details when you do so. At least this will ensure
>    that other users of xdialog will know there is a problem.

Right, this what I have already written (e.g. --treeview)

> 3. There is no harm in using a higher version of package locally
>    than what is available on the archive. There are many debian
>    tools to create local package repositories. Asking for this
>    version to be in the Debian archive urgently means that you
>    feel that many users of "xdialog" will be badly affected by the
>    earlier version (see 2).

Thierry Godefroy (Upstream) had alredy written which Bugs from 2.2.0
are solved and 2.3.0 would be a real benefit.

> 4. If you feel that the maintainer is MIA or might want to orphan
>    the package you should write to mia@qa.debian.org to check. Please
>    ensure that you have tried all avenues (BTS, mail to
>    Maintainer etc.) before you do this. The MIA folks probably
>    have a long queue!

I have already contacted the Maintainer (via BTS and privately, - and
he is DebianDevelpoer...) but gotten no reponse. :-(

> I am in a not-very-different situation with respect to a number of
> packages and all I can say is "Patience".

Normaly I am, but since Etch will be released in a short time it is
high presure for some Packages which have not realy RC-Bugs but
prevent other programs to work korrectly.

Note 1: As the old Manitainer had orphaned xdialog, I was interested
        in Maintaining it since nearly 70% of my tools are using
        xdialog heavyly so I am realy interested in a Package which
        is in a realy good shape.

Note 2: Since I am Debian-Consultant in Strasbourg, I have created
        MANY Administration tools which require xdialog (since most
        new $ADMIN of my customers do not want to hack config files)
        - thats the real world!

Ignoring of a demand to package a new version does not give a good
light to Debian, - specialy if this version exist since arround
5 month now and I use it from my private repository which has now
over 30 newer Packages which are not shiped with Debian and I can
not say, they are Unstable or the versions are critical.  (I use
it forcement daily in my Job)

> Regards,
> Kapil.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)