Re: Reassigning Bugs

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 15:20 +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> On Monday 25 September 2006 16:19, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> > > clone 12345 -1
> > > reassign -1 apt-file
> > > retitle -1 apt-file: known to break packagesearch ...
> > > thanks
> >
> > However, the bugs live seperated from each other after cloning. So this
> > seems to be more convenient way of doing option 1 (without the blocking
> > thing), right?
>
> Right. This in fact is one and the same bug, but cloned, showing in
> packagesearch and apt-file bug records. When it gets closed it does that for
> both packages.
If I understand you correctly, this creates only an alias for the
existing bug report. Please confirm that you are sure about this, it
seems to contradict with what is written in the BTS documentation:

        clone bugnumber NewID [ new IDs ... ]

        The clone control command allows you to duplicate a bug report.
        It is useful in the case where a single report actually
        indicates that multiple distinct bugs have occurred. "New IDs"
        are negative numbers, separated by spaces, which may be used in
        subsequent control commands to refer to the newly duplicated
        bugs. A new report is generated for each new ID.

The line that a new report is created for each new ID seems to indicate
that an independent report (and not just an alias is created).
Additionally having only an alias, would contradict the goal of
splitting multiple disitinct bugs from a single report.

Thanks,

Ben

--
Please do not send any email to ben-ml@gmx.net -- all email not