RE: n00b lib packaging question

> Am Dienstag, den 29.08.2006, 12:44 -0400 schrieb Jean-Sebastien Pilon:
>
> > I am trying to create packages from sources for libpcap
> compiled with
> > the libpfring library. This compiles no problem. When I am packaging
> > though... there are the issues coming up Wink
> >
> > # fakeroot debian/rules clean
> > # debian/rules build
> > # debian/rules binary
> > till now it's ok
> >
> > i have 2 .debs which contains only the documentation...
> >
> > so edited debian/rules and uncommented dh_install Wink
> >
> > after another complete run, still nothing else than the docs in the
> > packages...
> >

> > # ls debian/
> > changelog compat control copyright dirs docs libpcap-ring1.dirs
> > libpcap-ring1.install libpcap-ring-dev.dirs libpcap-ring-dev.install
> > rules
> [snip]
> > 3 new folders... tmp libpcap-ring1 libpcap-ring-dev
> [..]
> > i guess debian/binary is looking in those 2 directories
> since it wants
> > to create 2 packages
>
> In compat level 4, the files to package are expected in
> debian/$package.
>
> > am i right? does it make sense? hehe
> >
> > how can i fix this ?
>
> What's inside libpcap-ring1.install and libpcap-ring-dev.install? You
> need to "copy" the files from debian/tmp to debian/$package

# cat debian/libpcap-ring1.install
usr/local/lib/lib*.so.*

# cat debian/libpcap-ring-dev.install
usr/local/include/*
usr/local/lib/lib*.a
usr/local/lib/lib*.so
usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/*
usr/local/lib/*.la

Should I normally expect dh_install to put the files at the right place?
Or is it its behavior whan trying to split into 2 packages?