Latest upstream versions of files

Howdy all,

I'm the current maintainer for 'lojban-common', a very simple package
of some data files for the Lojban language.

The latest version of the files hasn't changed in many years. It would
be easy for me to simply assume that they'll never change during my
maintainership of the package. However, I don't consider that attitude
good enough; I'd want a good package maintainer to stay on top of even
slow-moving packages, and use automation as much as feasible.

My research leads me to 'uscan' (from the 'devscripts' package). From
what I can see, though, the only thing 'uscan' can use to determine a
version number is a regular expression on the file's URL. The files
I'm packaging don't have a version number in the filename or URL.

There's a version number *in* some of the files, that could easily be
extracted via shell tools. Can 'uscan' be told to use a command for
determining the version number of a file?

What other tools are available for checking upstream versions of files
that get replaced with new versions at the same URL?

--
 \     "First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing, for verbing |
  `\    weirds language. Then, they arrival for the nouns and I speech |