Re: How to write a good manpage ?

Am Donnerstag, den 17.08.2006, 14:20 +0200 schrieb Marco Bertorello:
> Hi Mentors,
>
> I always used help2man to generate a manpage for those packages that
> hasn't one.
>
> But now, I'm working on a package that has a non useful help output:
>
> $ gcstar --help
> Usage: /usr/bin/gcstar [[-u|--update [-a|--all] [-c|--collection]
> [-w|--website] [-i|--import] [-e|--export] [-l|--lang]] | [FILE]]
>
> How can I write a manpage good for debian?

I always use DocBook XML and then I process the XML sources the current
docbook-xsl stylesheets (make sure to use the latest version available
in Sid - the version in Sarge is buggy). If you want to have a look at
some examples:

http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/
(sources: http://cvs.wgdd.de/cgi-bin/cvsweb/fglrx_man/)
the manpages for xmllint, xsltproc and xmlcatalog (but they miss the '|'
in the commandsynopsis, because they were created using an older version
of the stylesheets)
http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/gchemutils/docs/man/?root=gchemutils&only_with_tag=gchemutils-0-6

These are a few manpages, which I wrote with DocBook XML. IMO apt and
aptitude also use XML to write the manpages. So you can also have a look
at their sources.

Regards, Daniel