Re: RFS: libmusicbrainz-2.1 (adopting)

Lukáš Lalinský <lalinsky@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm looking for a sponsor for updated package libmusicbrainz-2.1. This package
> contains the new upstream release (2.1.3) which fixes #365379.
>
> The package is at:
> http://users.musicbrainz.org/~luks/ubuntu2/dists/sid/main/source/libmusicbrainz-2.1_2.1.3-1.diff.gz
> http://users.musicbrainz.org/~luks/ubuntu2/dists/sid/main/source/libmusicbrainz-2.1_2.1.3-1.dsc
> http://users.musicbrainz.org/~luks/ubuntu2/dists/sid/main/source/libmusicbrainz-2.1_2.1.3.orig.tar.gz

The packaging is fine except for the copyright file: The python modules
seem to be licensed under the GPL, which is not stated in the copyright
file.

More generally, you should show more of the copyright text than "LGPL".
See eg. the good advice in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/03/msg01119.html .

I propose something like the following sections:

----8<---

The library is distributed under the following license.

  This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
  License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
  version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

  This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
  Lesser General Public License for more details.

  You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
  License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301,
  USA.

The full text of the GNU Lesser General Public License is available on
Debian systems in /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL.

The perl modules are distributed under the following license.

  This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
  it under the same terms as Perl itself.

Perl is distributed under the Artistic License.  The full text of the
Artistic License is available on Debian systems in
/usr/share/common-licenses/Artistic.

The python modules are distributed under the following license.

  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
  your option) any later version.

  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
  WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
  General Public License for more details.

  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301,
  USA.

The full text of the GNU General Public License is available on Debian
systems in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL.

----8<---

(Just respond in private)

Cheers,
--
                                                    Jens Peter Secher
_DD6A 05B0 174E BFB2 D4D9 B52E 0EE5 978A FE63 E8A1 jpsecher gmail com_