Re: When to close a bug tagged 'will not fix'?

James Stark <jstark@ieee.org> writes:

> I have a bug that I have tagged "will not fix" and I CC'ed the original
> submitter with the explanation of why it won't be fixed, however the CC
> to the original submitter bounced, with a message saying that the user
> does not exist.

> It's my understanding that Debian prefers that the submitter close off a
> bug after it is marked will not fix, but in this case I doubt that the
> submitter will ever find out that the status on the bug has changed.  So
> my question is:  Given this situation should I, as the maintainer, be
> closing this bug? and how long should I wait before doing so?

The only reason in my opinion to leave a bug open and tagged wontfix is if
you think that someone will come up with a good argument to change your
mind, if the existence of the bug tagged wontfix serves as useful
documentation for other bug filers to keep from getting duplicate bugs, or
if leaving the bug open and tagged avoids pointless arguments that you'd
have to go through if it were just closed.

If none of those cases apply, I'd just close it.