Re: Packaging non-compiled files

On 02/08/06, Kit Peters <popefelix@gmail.com> wrote:
I asked a similar question on debian-user, and was recommended to come here
instead.

At my job, we would like to use apt to distribute certain packages, such as
WWW applications written in PHP, to certain other of our machines.  The way
I had been doing this was to write a simple Makefile with an empty 'all'
target and having an 'install' target that installs the various files in the
application to their proper locations.  This works, for the most part, but
I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it.

Are you asking if you could make debs which do not compile? The
debian/rules file is a regular makefile which has to have some targets
(the debian/rules could be whatever you want, but the debian policy
says it has to be a makefile).

Is perfectably acceptable to have empty targets.

--
Regards,
EddyP