Re: RFC: comments on the packaging of ppower4?

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I have updated the packaging of ppower4 (which is a postprocessor for
> presentations made with LaTeX) and I would like to receive comments on
> the packaging.
>
> The application itself is licensed under the GNU GPL, but I am still
> awaiting for the upstream author to release the source.

Has he responded at all so far?

> I put the sources (and binary packages) at:
> http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debian/
>
> I'm open to any kind of comments, since it involves both Java and LaTeX.

The LaTeX part seems to be easy, and you've done it right.  The only
nitpicking I have is about your Recommends line:  IMHO it doesn't make
sense to have two real packages as alternatives, when there is a virtual
one that both provide:

Recommends: xpdf | evince | pdf-viewer

If no package that Provides: pdf-viewer is installed, any frontend that
automatically installs Recommends will choose xpdf, anyway.  And if
evince is already installed, it will satisfy the Recommends because it
Provides: pdf-viewer.

So if you want to push people from xpdf to evince, use evince |
pdf-viewer; if you want to be conservative, use xpdf | pdf-viewer.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)