Re: question about apt-get

Le mardi 01 août 2006 à 16:34 +0530, Deepak Kumar Tripathi a écrit :
> Hi mentors,

Hello,

> I dont know where to ask this question

That would be debian-user

>  so i am asking here. i am getting problem in apt-get update .
>
> i  have install knoppix and i am shifting to testing version because i
> want to instll some more package.
> but whenever i am using apt-get update i am getting this error.
>
> __start__
[...]
> Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
>   Connection failed
[...]
> Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

I successfully downloaded this file; perhaps it's been missing due to
maintenance or whatever and you could try again.

>  Connection failed
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> stable/main Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

This just means you don't have a local copy of the file. You'll get this
message once more when you actually succeed, and then no more.

Besides, are you actually in the US ? If not, I suggest you look for a
mirror near you: http://www.debian.org/mirror/list . I doubt that's the
problem, though.

Regards, Thibaut.