Re: RFS: ipbt

On 7/5/06, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 02:28:59PM -0400, Bryan Donlan wrote:
> * Package name    : ipbt
> ipbt       - Fast, advanced ttyrec player

Oops, on just loading a typical NetHack recording:

real    1m36.499s
user    1m35.050s
sys     0m0.648s

Something is terribly wrong here, as my very inefficient
implementation of the same loads the same file in a split second.

The current implementation loads all frames of the movie ahead of
time, generates a list of (character position, frame index, new value)
structures, then sorts by position and time. This allows it to rapidly
reconstruct the value of any character at any  frame.

I have a some ideas for improving this startup time; I'll implement
them and contact upstream.