Re: Debian 3.1 packaging documentation

Dear Robert:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, robert jennings wrote:

Hello!

Okay, so I read the fine manuals and examples from
many many places and maybe I'm just alittle tired
after I successfully created my first .deb package
(binary) but when I went to install it, the dpkg -i
xxx.deb installed all the files into the root
directory and the postinst file was not run.

I ran the dpkg -status and it said it was installed
ok, but no files were installed other than just what
was put into the root directory and the data.tar.gz
file was left intact.

It's possible that I need to create alot more
information as I'm only packaging binary material, but
it would help to get even a simple document that
explains what I'm doing so I can fix it for myself.

Could you give a bit more information? It would help to know what the package is, how the build environment variables are set and what the debian/rules file looks like. If you could make the package files availabke for download, I am sure that you would get a lot of help.

From what you say, if there is no compilation of programs here, you might
just be missing some arguments in the dh_install commands. It is hard to say.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics