Re: RFS: xboard

Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:

> Hello Florian -
>
> Thank you for pointing the problems out. The only excuse is that this is
> my very first attempt to contribute to the Debian project and I hope
> future ones will be more successful. :-) I didn't know I had to check
> the unstable in order to get the most recent version, so I ended up with
> version 4.2.6 without all the patches.
Debian development should be done in an unstable (sid) environment, since
all packages go to unstable, and then propagate to testing. If your box has
debian stable, you could set up a chroot in which you install sid, and work
in there.
> I am still willing to take over the package maintenance. If that's ok,
> what should be my next step? I can obviously take  4.2.7-4 from unstable
> and release it as 4.2.7-5 with updated Maintainer's header. Is that the
> right way to go?
It is. However, just updating the Maintainer field is no reason to upload a
package. Check the BTS for any bugs you can fix, and when you have a reason
to upload (such as some bugfixes, enhancements or new upstream releases),
ask for sponsorship.

--

Felipe Sateler