RFS: urw-garamond-no8 (was: RFS: urw-garamond -- scalable PostScript font from the Garamond family)

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> writes:

Hi Florent,

I renamed the package to urw-garamond-no8 and uploaded the new version
to http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/u/urw-garamond-no8/. I
hope I have addresse all of your comments satisfactoryly.

> And now, for some other comments (those that are not legally binding).
>
> 1. You should Build-Depend on debhelper (>= 5.0.31), defoma (>= 0.7.0)
>    and tex-common (>= 0.16) (have a look at the changelog files for
>    these packages if you want to know why these versions are needed).

After reading bug #366234 I set debhelper requirement to >=5.0.35. See
the comment on $(X11DST) below. On the other versions I trust you ;-)

> 2. You're missing a dependency on defoma (>= 0.5.0) (have a look at your
>    postinst script).

Ah, I see. Added.

> 3. I'm not a native english speaker, but I would modify the Description
>    field this way:

[snip]

Okay, I applied your suggestion.

> 4. I believe you should put the full upstream URL in debian/copyright,
>    just as you did in README.Debian.

Done.

> 5. debian/copyright:
>
>      Note: the files in the ugm.zip archive are located in the directories
>                      ^^^^^^                    ^
>                 from the upstream            those
>      doc/, dvips/, fonts/ and tex/.
>                                   ^
>                        in the .orig.tar.gz file.

Applied.

> 6. The full texts of the Aladdin Free Public License and the LaTeX
>    Project Public License must be quoted in debian/copyright (Policy
>    § 12.5).

Done.

> 6.2. AFAICT, Ralf Stubner is one of the copyright holders, but is not
>      listed in the relevant section.

I pointed to his mail in this thread where he claims not to hold any
copyrights.

> 6.3. Well, please revamp this file:

[snip]

>      I identify the following works:
>         - the font files (copyright holders: (URW)++ Design &
>           Development and Ralf Stubner, AFAICT);
>         - the TeX support files (copyright holder: Walter Schmidt);
>         - the debian packaging (copyright holder: at least you).

Okay, I chose a bit different style, but I hope to have reproduced all
necessary information.

> 7. About debian/package.docs: this should be debian/urw-garamond.docs,
>    but I suggest to get rid of this file and instead list the two

Done.

> 8. There are many problems in your urw-garamond.defoma-hints file.
>    At first glance:
>
>       - confusion in the Weight attributes;
>       - X-FontName not in accordance with your urw-garamond.scale;
>       - you should be using FaceNum and Inherit since you declare
>         multiple charsets in the .scale file;
>       - Direction is missing.
>
>    Please read /usr/share/doc/defoma-doc/developers.html/index.html.
>    You can also have a look at /etc/defoma/hints/lmodern.hints, which
>    is not authoritative, but only the result of my interpretation of
>    that document.

Okay, I rewrote the defoma-hints file. I hope I have it now, although I
have to admit, I did not completely understand the charset stuff. I
ommited many of the fonts mkfontscale found and only kept
iso8859-{1,15} as these are the ones I am used to and know they
work. How can one determine reliably which charsets a .pfb file
contains?

I used your sed script from lmodern (0.99.3-2) to generate the .scale
file. This omits the *-unregistered-font_specific entries. Is this on
purpose?

> The following comments are all about debian/rules:
>
> 9. You have "SHELL = /bin/bash". What is it useful for?

Removed. Was an artifact of my template.

> 10. DVIPSCONFIGSRC=$(CURDIR)/dvips/config
>     DVIPSCONFIGDST=usr/share/texmf/dvips/config

Changed to usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/ugm.

> 11.  DOCUMENTATIONFILES=
>      CHANGELOGFILES=
>
>     Get rid of these and substitute the correct values in the dh_*
>     command lines.

Done.

> 12. The build-stamp target and file are really useless.

Removed.

> 13. In clean, you use "-rm -f". Please remove the first hyphen. It could
>     hide real errors.

Removed.

> 14. The "dh_installdirs $(X11DST)" is feeling lonely. Merge it with the
>     first dh_installdirs call to save one Perl process per build. Same
>     thing with "dh_installdirs etc/X11/fonts/X11R7/Type1".

Okay. I also dropped the X11R7 from the path.

> 15. The build will fail whenever the expansion of "$(CURDIR)" contains
>     spaces. You should use double quotes at several places.

Hopefully done. I quoted all $FOOSRC variables, where the problem could
occur.

> 16. I don't like backquotes in shell scripts. I prefer the $(...)

Okay. I see. I replaced the backquotes.

> 17. I don't like long lines (> 79 characters).

Wrapped them. Normally I also don't like them, but I thought those few
didn't matter ;-)

> 18. lintian says:
>
>       E: urw-garamond source: declares-possibly-conflicting-debhelper-compat-versions rules=5 compat=5
>
>     and he's right. Remove the setting from debian/rules.
>
> 19. lintian also found the first problem I reported:
>
>       E: urw-garamond source: missing-dh_installxfonts-build-dependency debhelper (>= 5.0.31)
>
>     Are you using an old lintian?

Forgot to install it, no wonder 'debuild --lintian' did not
complain. The errors above are gone I now get the warnings

W: urw-garamond-no8 source: build-depends-without-arch-dep defoma
W: urw-garamond-no8 source: build-depends-without-arch-dep tex-common

Can they be ignored? The binary package depends on both.

Next week I will be on a conference where I won't be mailable. I guess I
will be back online on Monday, June 12th.

Regards,

Kevin

--
publickey: 2048R/0AFDFB19   http://www.icbm.de/~bube/publickey.asc
fingerprint: 542B 1378 04AA AF1F 572E  78BF 1BF5 5C71 0AFD FB19