Re: How to include information about a source package ?

On Sunday 30 April 2006 21:29, Russ Allbery wrote:
--cut--
> No, I would instead say:
>
>  * Repackaging must be documented in debian/copyright, and if the
>    repackaging means that anything a user may expect to be present is
>    missing, that must be documented in README.Debian.
>
>  * A get-orig-source target must be provided if it's feasible to automate
>    the repackaging.  (There are cases where it's not, but those are
>    generally cases involving a complex construction of different sources
>    that would have to be documented in debian/copyright anyway since
>    debian/copyright must contain the details of where the source was
>    obtained.)
>
> I would remove all mention of README.Debian-source; I don't think
> including a separate file is ever a good idea.  debian/copyright is the
> appropriate location for this information, in my opinion.

Aha, that makes things clear enough. I agree that repackaging information is a
subject to debian/copyright and debian/README.Debian.

For the record: "I second these bits" !

What's next ? To have a unified (and sanely implemented) get-orig-source
target incorporated in debhelper | cdbs | dpatch to be reused by interested
packagers ?

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB