Re: Getting close to releasing my first .deb's... What's next?

Thijs Kinkhorst <kink@squirrelmail.org> wrote:
> Just include no manpage at all. Don't silence Lintian for it, because man
> pages need to be made eventually. However, will the binaries really change
> that much that it creating man pages would be wasted effort? Just some
> general documentation is already a lot more helpful than nothing at all.
> My advice would be to include as much of a manpage as is reasonable
> looking at what you expect of the future of that binary.

	Fair enough. :-) 4/5ths of them are perl scripts, so it'll be easy
to add a bit of POD and look at prior art for turning that into a deb
manpage. However, I expect bt_db2xml.c in particular to change quite a bit
in the future.

> Your package is a "Debian native" package, i.e. without an orig.tar.gz.
> That's not considered a good idea unless it's really Debian-specific.
> Normally you'd have an .orig.tar.gz from upstream and a .diff.gz with the
> Debian-specific changes.

> Please don't include the 'debian/' directory in the upstream tarball. This
> is just a little convenient when maintainer == upstream, but as soon as
> either one changes, this can lead to confusion when the debian-diff is a
> diff over an existing debian dir. There's been quite some discussion about
> this previously.

	Okay... to make my intentions clear:

	I've been using debian now since 1999 and don't see myself changing
distributions at any point in the future. I love debian. The first thing I
do when I get a blank harddrive is install debian on it and I encourage all
of my friends to do the same. (Yes, I looked at ubuntu briefly, but decided
they weren't offering me anything that made it worth distancing myself from
the core). I've been working on mod_bt for two years now, and the entire
time the eventual end goal has been a debian package. One of my daydreams
has been a special netboot image that quickly deploys a mod_bt-centric
webserver running debian, just scp or ftp in your content and .torrents and
it starts seeding. I don't want to exclude non-debian types from using
mod_bt (in fact, I'm going to be looking into how to get it to work properly
under win32 soon), but the primary target environment has always been
debian. Whenever I am not the debian maintainer for mod_bt, I would accept
patches from the maintainer to keep my debian/ tree in sync with what's
actually needed, and/or give the maintainer commit access to the CVS tree
where it's stored.

	So with that understood,

	1. Do I still need to make it an ".orig" package, even if it will
have a zero-byte diff?

	2. Is having a "debian/" directory in the tarball such a bad thing?
In a way, it advertises debian to anybody that downloads the source.

> You can use the debian BTS as your upstream bts though, as long as you're
> keeping it in shape of course :)

	Awesome!!

	Thanks,
		Tyler