Re: What is "stripping" in binary compilations ?

Maxim Vexler wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm reading the "New maintainer's guide".
>
> On page  28 (version 1.2.3,18 January2005) the author speaks about
> `stripping' executable and the dh_strip(1) script. Surprisingly, no
> where was the reader informed about the purpose of `striping'. Am I
> supposed to know this as part of "basic knowledge" ? If so where can I
> learn more about stripping I've tried to search the Debian developers
> reference guide and the gcc online documentations, as well as google
> but no useful information has turned up.
>
> Is stripping important when packaging an application for debian ?
> How can I tell if an application was meant to be stripped by upstream ?
>
> Thank you for helping.

Stripping is basically the proces sof removing debugging and other
symbolic information from the compiled binary.  This helps to keep the
size down.  If you only work with interpreted or byte-code-type
languages, then you probably don't need to worry too much about what
this is.  If you work with regular compiled languages (e.g., C and C++)
this is definitely required knowledge.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez