Re: building rpms on debian system?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:32:14PM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
> [This is probably the wrong list for this.]
>
> Ek Zindagoi wrote:
> > I would like to build rpms on a debian system for use on a redhat
> >system. Can I do that on a debian system ?
>
> In short, no;  system libraries on a RedHat system likely have different
> versions (and soversions), as well as a few different filesystem paths.
>  Libraries *will* have different names, except in a few very rare
> cases.  (Worse, all Debian libraries have package names "lib<libname>";
>  very few RH libs do unless the upstream name is libsomething.)
[...]

I'm not sure I've seen what seems to me to be the obvious solution
come through in a reply yet, but why not just create a custom chroot
for your target distribution (be it RHEL 4 or SUSE 9 or whatever)
and build in there? Do it a la pbuilder and just keep a tarfile of
the clean system archived so you can have several without taking up
much space, and upgrade them periodically as needed. Your only
limitation is that you're stuck in the chroot using whatever kernel
you've booted for Debian, but if that becomes an issue, UML to the
rescue (in some ways easier to manage than chroots, in my opinion).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);