How to build packages from tarballs without makefiles

I occasionally run into tarballs without a makefile. How do I turn those into Debian packages?

Here's an example -- otk_lib from http://otk.sourceforge.net/.

# tar zxvf otk_lib_0.47.tgz
otk_lib/gadget_lib.c
otk_lib/letter2vector2.c
otk_lib/otk_lib.c
otk_lib/Readme.txt
otk_lib/gadget_lib.h
otk_lib/otk_lib.h

I rename the directory libotk-0.47, enter it, and run dh_make -s, getting "Currently there is no top level Makefile." The Readme.txt says

/* To Compile: Directive in code should detect environment and do the right thing. */ /* Unix/Linux: */ /* cc -O -c -I/usr/X11R6/include otk_lib.c -o otk.o */ /* Link with: -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXext -lX11 */

Do I put these into debian/rules? Where?

I was hoping I could make a few changes and run fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage.

Dave