question about CFLAGS modifiers to ./configure

Hi,

DebHelper uses by default (in the pre-made templates) "-Wl,-z,defs" in CFLAGS
when running ./configure

CFLAGS="-Wall -g -O2 -Wl,-z,defs" ./configure --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) ...

I'm packaging a program (with some libraries in it) that won't compile with
them unless you explicitly modify Makefile.am files and add the libraries
(already included in the package but not installed in time of compilation),
which is not done by default. without those options it compiles and install
cleanly without problem with upstream's building system.

Is it important to keep them? Could someone possibly explain to me what they
mean?

Lots of thanks!!!
Miry

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.