Re: RFC: checkinstall - installation tracker

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:30:06AM -0400, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> I have more or less made ready a new package for checkinstall and
> installwatch (which are now only one package). The new packages are
> available through debian.mentors.net [1]
> Major differences from previous packages:
> 1) Merged installwatch and checkinstall.
> 2) Re-Debianized the package. Reasons: merging of the packages, and because
> the original checkinstall debian/rules bypassed the checkinstall Makefile,
> because it wasn't very good. My approach was rewriting the makefile
> (changes sent upstream), and only doing additional work in debian/rules.
Your first Closes entry isn't terminated with a closing/right
parenthesis; not that it really matters.

You need to include the years of copyright (if available).

Your rules file is set up as if you produced both -arch and -indep
packages, but that isn't the case.  In particular, you don't need
DH_OPTIONS at all.

"useless use of cat" in the install target; you should probably just
rely on the debhelper tools to do everything like:
  creating links
  compressing files
  creating directories
  installing files

You have sed commands, which aren't necessarily bad, but you could
probably just include the changes in the .diff.gz.

binary depends on build and install, but install already depends on
build.  I don't know why the template is like this; I'm filing a bug
now..

Your modified makefile might use install -s to install the library,
rather than cp.

BTW, did you ever figure out why dpkg wasn't allowing you to directly
install the new package?

Justin