Re: C Tutorial ?

Hello Fabian,

Am 2006-03-18 11:41:58, schrieb Fabian Fagerholm:

> Hi Michelle,
>
> I don't know know of any really good C tutorials for beginners. The
> problem is that while the C language itself is really small and easy to
> learn, there are a number of things that need to be understood before
> you can start making real programs. Basically, finding the information
> on your own and learning how to combine from several documents is very
> important.

We know, Laila had leaned BASH PHP and Tcl and Python while she
was sleeping...  Now she was looking into the GTK+ 2.0 Tutorial
and leaned it in less the 3 days...

What she want is "real" programming under Linux.

Her IQ is around 240% so I think, you know which problem I have.

> The usage of C depends very much on the environment you're in, and many
> books try to either cover only the most portable aspects of C, or they
> get too involved in details about the environment (for example details
> about Unix programming, how to create portable code, how to make shared
> libraries, etc).

To give her stuff, I have allready told her this.  She find it cool,
to code one source wich can run on 12 architektures.  We have found
some documentation about coding stuff portabel but it was nor realy
easy explained..

> I think one way to learn C is to work through a short tutorial with
> varied examples, such as this one:
> http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/resources/programming/c-tutorial/toc.html

OK

> After that, it would be a good idea to try to implement a new feature or
> fix a bug in an existing program. This will gradually introduce the
> topics that are not directly related to the C language. I also think it
> is less frustrating than writing from scratch, because you can
> concentrate on one thing at a time and still get a working result. (If
> you write from scratch, you'll have to do a lot of work before the
> result is usable.)

Hehe...  Laila was looking at my tdmnc (Mail & News Client for X,
without the need of GNOME and KDE and with the power of mutt) which I
rewrite currently...  I have created (last weekend) a nice GTK+ 2.0
GUI and now I am implementing function by function.

Beginning with the basic functions...

She has allready seen some little results and want to work on this
project too...

They are many functions to implement and all is modular.

> On the other hand, if Laila has a very specific application in mind, she
> might be motivated enough to work through all those small details.

Because she live in Morocco (and make regulary hollidays in Iran)
she want to code educativ stuff and such...  fribidi/pango plus
UTF-8 is a must for supporting arabic and farsi.

> Anyway, good references are always handy, so here are two links that I
> found. They describe the C language but also the Unix programming
> environment:
> http://www.its.strath.ac.uk/courses/c/
> http://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/

OK, I think I have something to download...

> Finally, there is a C and C++ -related site at
> http://www.cprogramming.com/ -- it has annoying popups and the quality

Do mozilla/firefox/seamonkey now popup?  ;-)

> of the content varies, but maybe there is some usable information,
> particularly in the forums.
>
> Good luck! :)

Thanks.

Currently I am downloading tonns of stuff with my
Laptop because I am working mobil in the world.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi