Re: [Q:] Which tool creates the DEBIAN subdirectory

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:21:35AM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Am Montag, 13. M?rz 2006 02:28 schrieb Joe Smith:
> > "Rainer Dorsch" <rdorsch@web.de> wrote in message
> > [🔎] 200603122252.13092.rdorsch@web.de">news:[🔎] 200603122252.13092.rdorsch@web.de...
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I tried to package cpuinfo but it seems that the files in debian/tmp did
> > > not make it into the .deb file:
> >
> > debian/tmp is only used if debian/compat does not exist or contains '1'.
> > My guess is that your package has some other value in debian/compat.
> > If that is the case, install to to debian/<package> (replacing package
> > with the name of the binary package) instead of debian/tmp.

When using debhelper, dh_install will do that for you sortof automatically.
If you have defined a binary package foo in debian/control, and there is a
file debian/foo.install, then putting this in dh_install:
debian/tmp/usr/bin/bar
will install that file to the same path, minus "debian/tmp/", if it is at the
start, in debian/foo.  Of course there's nothing against doing that by hand,
but I like this approach, so I think it's good that it is mentioned. :-)

In fact, your build must have warned you about all the files in debian/tmp,
because you use the --list-missing option.

For more details, see the dh_install manpage.

> That was a hit, many thanks. debian/compat contained 4, installing to
> debian/cpuinfo solved the problem.
>
> Is there documentation on debian/compat? Apparently dh_make generated this
> file...

It's the compatibility level used by debhelper.  In general, it's a good idea
to use the latest version (which is currently 5) or at least the version in
stable (which is currently 4).  Older versions are less featureful, and since
few people use them they may not actually work as they should. :-)  See the
debhelper manpage for details.

Thanks,
Bas