Re: Non-Debian packaging practice

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 08:47:28PM -0500, Joe Smith wrote:

> "Russ Allbery" <rra@debian.org> wrote in message
> [🔎] 87mzfwhbpq.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu">news:[🔎] 87mzfwhbpq.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu...
> >Joe Smith <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> writes:
> >>So I must ask why do people dislike the autotools? Are there really
> >>problems that outweigh the benefits of being able to compile the program
> >>on strange architectures with little difficulty?  Remember that the
> >>autotools let one compile the program in the same way on a GNU/Linux
> >>system, Cygwin, BSD, and a large number of commercial unixes.
Problem #1 is Bad Documentation.

There is also a large amount of indirection involved to get things to
happen just the way you want them to.  A simple program is pretty
simple.

However I had a lot of difficultly getting the thing to, say, generate a
file nicely.  It is now doing it but it sure took a long time to work
out.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer