Re: Non-free firmware update data for a package in main?

Hi Neil,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:29:04PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> A driver package intended for main may need to provide a non-free binary
> firmware update for specific devices only. The firmware is volatile and needs
> reloading each time the driver is initialised - but only if one of these
> devices is being used. Other devices supported by the driver are NOT
> affected.

> Is the firmware binary just data? (Like an image?)

What is the aim of this particular question?  Under GR 2004-003, all
contents of main must be free according to the DFSG, including images and
other data; so if you're asking if it's ok to include a non-free binary blob
in main that we don't have the right to modify, the answer is no.

> Should the package be split so that the package containing the driver for
> the unaffected devices can go into main?

Yes, a package split sounds like it's needed.  Note that this means
splitting the source package, since you can't build binaries for both main
and non-free from the same source.  The driver itself sounds like it's
perfectly suitable for main, only the optional firmware would need to be in
non-free.

Cheers,