Packaging Qemu Launcher, unmaintained but useful software

Hello,

One late evening browsing trough requested packages in [1] I came across Qemu Launcher [2]. It is a Perl/Glade front end for QEMU (CPU/computer emulator). It being the only GTK based application of this kind that I know of, I decided to give a try packaging it for Debian.

Then I realized that it is fairly outdated and does not support QEMU 8.0 (the latest version). The last version of Qemu Launcher seems to be released somewhere around 3-4 months ago, so I tried contacting the author (about a month ago and again a few days ago), but got no reply so far. There also does not seem to be any activity on the project site.

I am still interested in packaging it, but to make it compatible with the latest QEMU, extensive changes need to be made. This includes not only code changes, but possibly also GUI redesign. What I am trying to say, is that after I finish with it, it will be anything but Qemu Launcher 1.5 - basically a fork.

I have no problem with doing upstream development, but I am not very keen on forking it. My question is, would such fork be accepted into Debian? If it would, should it be Debian specific, or should I register a new project somewhere? How should I name (or version) it then?

Sorry if this post is not strictly mentors list related, but I was hoping that someone at Debian has already dealt with similar situation and would care to share experience.

Regards,
Linas

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/