Build/test environment

I'd like to get going on some bug-squashing, but have three
semi-related questions:

1) Since updated packages go into unstable, presumably they should be
tested in an unstable environment. But they also want to percolate
into testing, so they shouldn't break or be broken by testing. So I
presume it's best to have an unstable test environment and a testing?

2) My laptops are happily running sarge. My main desktop...well, it
used to be hamm, but by now you might as well call it LFS. Sadly I
have other things to do with my computers :) so I'd rather not have
testing or unstable accidentally run roughshod over my
filesystem--what's "the" (or "a") preferred way of setting up a test
environment? New partition? UML? chroot with debootstrap?

3) When making and testing fixes, is the best way to bump the debian
version number, treat the whole package as if one were doing a
maintainer upload, then build and install the package? Or is there a
"better" procedure I'm missing? (Obviously the final product is a
patch to send the maintainer, not a package.)