Re: non-PIC problem

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 05:07 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> I've never understood why people feel the need to bundle libltdl in their
> sources instead of just telling users to download & install it as a
> build-dependency. <shrug>

I can't say for that particular library, but in general there
is a STRONG incentive for vendors to prepackage as many
dependencies as possible. This gives the vendor control
over the version of the dependency, control over bugs,
and control over the build procedure, relieving the
end user of that burden.

The golden rule packaging is to minimise dependencies
any way possible (This is a translation of one of
Bertrand Meyer's principles of modularity,
namely to minimise coupling between modules).

Perhaps the situation would different if everyone
ran Debian :)  But they don't. In any I case I believe
Steve has given the correct advice here:

"Link against the system libltdl instead of using a redundant
bundled copy."

Debian has different goals to the upstream developer.
Nothing wrong with modifying the build, leaving some
parts out, splitting a tarball into multiple packages,
or whatever fits best: Debian has a finer grained
concept of a 'module' than upstream developers.