Re: Re-libtooling + automake

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:19:08PM +0000, Martin Meredith wrote:
> I do know of this - but looking for a solution for now so I dont have to go
> down that road unless absolutely neccesary :d (for example - the lsdiff |
> touch -r)

Do I understand correctly that you want to avoid running automake from
debian/rules, even at high cost?  Personally I think using touch is very high
cost, as it seems quite fragile and may easily result in a broken compile
(that is, some things may be forgotten or so).

And I may be becoming repetitive, but I still haven't heard any reason why
running autoconf/automake from debian/rules would be bad.  Obviously you need
to depend on the correct version and explicitly call it (Depends: automake1.9
; export AUTOMAKE=automake-1.9), but I don't see a problem in that either.

Many problems solve themselves when you compile from source instead of using
pre-built files.  That is true for executables, it is true for Makefile.in and
configure as well.

Thanks,
Bas